Monday, October 4, 2010

recipes=memories


Photographing for Loving Aunt Ruth turned out to be delicious and somewhat fattening.  Well worth the pounds!  Aunt Ruth is a marvelous cook with a recipe collection.  Yes, these are her cards lovingly protected in plastic, because she is either cooking for friends, a temple function, or she is being asked for one of her treasured selections.  She has been on countless charitable cookbook committees and served her family for more than 70 years.

But, that isn't why I am writing today's blog.  It is to remind you to ask for recipes from people you love or even like as a way of gathering data that will keep people close to your heart in ways that allow you to cook and serve and create memorable moments of your own that tether you to someone else or your past.

Aunt Ruth and I will happily send you her recipe for Pecan Pie, if you send us your address to my email.  
honeylazar4@gmail.com

Here's a recipe from the above collection that Aunt Ruth marked as "very good."  Let us know if you agree!

Corn Pudding
12 oz vacuum packed can of corn
3T flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk or non dairy creamer
1T vanilla
2 eggs, beaten
4T melted butter

Combine all ingredients in the order listed making sure to stir the mixture while add the hot, melted butter.

Pur into a 1 1/2 qt. casserole and bake at 425 for 35 minutes or until golden.

Aunt Ruth says that it serves 4 if you're lucky.  If you double the recipe, she asks that you remember to increase the baking time...maybe even up to an hour.

Invite some friends.  Take it to friends....Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Yummm! I want to make this corn pudding. It looks divine.
    I recently acquired a china hutch that was my grandma's. Whenever I look at it, I think of all the wonderful meals we had in her dining room at next to that hutch. I think I need to take a few photos of it in the spirit of tradition and perhaps cook a roast in her honor. Thanks for making me think about delicious meals and the wonderful women who have lovingly prepared them!
    By the way, I would LOVE a copy of that pecan pie recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Look at all of those recipe cards!! I bet she has a recipes for some of my favorite childhood comfort foods!!! A wonderful reminder to ask those we love for those.

    ReplyDelete