Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Mustering

I have wonderful memories of riding in the car with my mom, as she pointed out front yards dotted with blooms or freshly mowed grass.  She'd always say, "Honey, you can tell how happy someone is by the way they take care of their yard. "  She was talking about attitude not finances.


Life has been a tad heavy lately.  My terrace looks exactly like my mood which brings me to Aunt Ruth's terrace.  I don't remember a summer when her yard didn't sing, and now that she's in an apartment, her terrace is always decorated with flowers.  No matter what.  Her husband and children are gone, but her life is filled with friends and family and an underlying optimism fueled by her faith and her attitude towards staying the course.


As you can see, I bought mums.  They were my mom's favorite flower, and she adored her baby sister, Aunt Ruth.


To the sisters who taught this daughter and niece that mustering courage to plant flowers during tough times helps hope bloom, I send my deepest thanks.

2 comments:

  1. So encouraging and uplifting. Someone had to teach us to plant and decorate with flowers. They fill our lives with color and joy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey, I love this. So true about the condition of our yards. Ever since John and I were married, I began planting gardens in our back yard. I work tirelessly in the dirt .. I get it all over myself. I'm certainly, Pigpen. This year was different. I had a low grade depression, peppered with some highs. I spent most of the summer by or in the pool, working on my vitamin D and photographing myself. Our yard looks like crap, mostly. I planted a couple things and grew a lot of weeds. I hope next year to be in a better place. Thanks for your thoughts, images and boundless creative energy.

    ReplyDelete